Saturday, February 28, 2009

Helmet Cover

I have been attempting to make myself a helmet cover since last year when I went to my first show in May. I made one, it was horrible, so I made another. That one was marginally better, but I didn't have enough fabric on the bottom to add elastic, so I just taped it into my helmet for the show. Since then, I have been determined to figure it out and make a good one.

I was able to borrow a store bought one to look at as an example, and I decided to start from scratch. The seams were different on the store one than the two I had tried to make last year. So I made a pattern out of tissue paper, mimicking the seam lines but making it fit my helmet. I made sure to plan ahead for elastic and left more fabric on the bottom. The elastic was the hardest part. I couldn't quite get it to bunch evenly, but it works. Once I got the cover to sit smoothly on my helmet, I moved onto the decorations. Ever since I was a kid I liked the chevron helmet cover pictures in the tack catalogs. I made the chevrons out of a satin fabric with interfacing ironed on the back to give it more structure for my machine to sew through. I really like how it turned out!

I can't wait to get all my cross country stuff on and ride! Shows and schooling will be so much fun this year!

2 comments:

Micah said...

I'm so impressed with your awesome skills! Baking, sewing...you're like Martha Stewart without the pretentious New England accent or that pesky felony charge!

Heidi said...

I laughed so hard at your comment! Thanks, Micah :-)